We are a soul, funk and (old-school) rhythm and blues band looking for a new guitarist. Check us out at .drmojoband.
Our band has been gigging regularly around the Bay area for 10 years and played over 400 gigs. Our experienced line-up includes female lead vocals, drums, bass and Hammond B3 organ/digital piano.
Our reputation is established and we have a good relationship with dozens of venues. We gig at bars and clubs all over the bay area, from Marin to SF to Santa Cruz to Pleasanton, including dozens of appearances at the Boom Boom Room. We've also played private events and at outdoor events such as in Union Square and at Jazz and Blues by the Bay in Sausalito.
We have a good-looking website, with demos and videos, an email list of ~700 people, and business cards, etc..
We are looking for a guitarist to become part of a band. The essence of this band is based on collaboration where all members have an equal say. We are focused, but above all we play and gig because we enjoy making music and playing shows.
Here are some basics in no particular order.
If you are not comfortable with ANY of these, PLEASE move on to the next ad. It may not feel like it from this list, but we are a relaxed and fun bunch of people. We've just listed these things because we know from experience what does and doesn't work.
- We need someone (21+) who can drop in and come up to speed quickly as we lose our current guitarist soon and we have gigs booked, for which we'll need to have 30 - 40 songs ready. We have a repertoire of some 60 to 80 songs - some you'll know if you're the person we want, and maybe you'll bring some too, which would be fine. We do a handful of originals, but will mostly cover others' tunes, often putting our own spin on them. Some songs we keep clean, others we extend into jams, trading solos between guitar and organ, stretching them out etc. You'll need to be comfortable with loose arrangements.
- Our material is based around a core of soul, funk and R&B, with excursions into rock, New Orleans grooves, and jazzy feels. We've covered songs from Sam Cooke, Aretha Franklin, Sam and Dave, Joe Tex, Otis Rush, Johnny Guitar Watson, Susan Tedeschi, Bonnie Raitt, Buddy Guy, Slim Harpo, Lou Ann Barton, Spencer Davis Group, Jimmy Smith, Grand Funk Railroad, Freddie King, The Meters, T-Bone Walker, Prince, Pink Floyd, The Band, Ray Charles, Joan Osbourne, Amy Winehouse, The Black Keys and many more.
- We do this for fun, but require that we get paid. We are not looking to make our livings from playing, or to 'make it' in the music biz., or travel more than about 50 miles from SF.
- We gig 3 or 4 times a month, and book several months ahead. We all therefore have to commit to making dates some way out. We HATE canceling gigs once we've booked them, so you need to be able to manage your calendar accordingly.
- We practise in Oakland, usually on Sundays. We have a practice space, gear and PA.
- We each make our own way to gigs so you'll need your own transport.
- Pay is divided equally among all band members, with a little off the top going towards paying the small common expenses (e.g. web site hosting). Our take per person can range from $15 to over $100 per gig, depending on the venue and the night.
- We always act professionally on stage. We might have a beer or two, but we are there to "work", so please be used to acting professionally i.e. looking sharp, quick transitions between songs, being on time for gigs/practices, being respectful and polite with the venue staff, etc.
Interested? Drop me a line.
- Screen name:
- Member since:
- Jun 17 2015
- Active over 1 month ago
- Level of commitment:
- Years together:
- Gigs played:
- Over 100
- Tend to practice:
- 1 time per week
- Available to gig:
- 1 night a week
- 58 years
Members Of Band
Own PA, rehearsal space