SEEKINGBand to Join, Bass Guitar, Drums, Other.
Rudy began performing and creating music with others in high school, covering popular tunes.
Over the years, he has used his skills in various types of bands:
- Hotel circuit pop bands playing the current hits and light Jazz
- Linda & Her Escorts – a 30’s-40’s Trio backing the lady trumpeter/singer
- Topeka Transfer – a supper-club show band – he wrote the skits and arrangements in addition to performing
- Art’s Alive – the artist support group – he teamed up with a bass playing friend and a drum machine to back anyone who wanted to sing any song of any type
- The Maroons – covering the best from the 50’s to the 70’s. Think Roy Orbison meets Jeff Beck meets Motown meets the Beatles, etc.
- Touring band in the 80’s named What playing originals and current hits
- 80’s cover band Selective Recall, and many other bar bands doing blues, rock, folk, etc.
- Screen name:
- Member since:
- Apr 18 2017
- Active within 2 weeks
- Level of commitment:
- Very Committed
- Years playing music:
- Gigs played:
- Over 100
- Tend to practice:
- More than 3 times per week
- Available to gig:
- 4-5 nights a week
Though I've been influenced one way or another by every musician I've ever heard, these are some of my Faves...
Composers: Bach, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky
Guitarists: Duane Eddy, Chuck Berry, Wes Montgomery, Jeff Beck, Chet Atkins
Bands: Count Basie, Nelson Riddle, Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Cream, Dire Straits
- Rhythm Guitar:
- Lead Guitar:
- Acoustic Guitar:
- Bass Guitar:
The Cubes were first formed in Chicago in the late 1980's. The founding members, Dave Toan and Rudy Lobo, worked through several permutations, of the band, before bringing in Kelly Lawson and Bill Kavanagh to complete current Cubes line up. The Cubes became well known, playing the Chicago club scene, for its solid repertoire of original material, strong musicianship and powerful sound. The sound that became "The Cubes" was, and is, an eclectic combination of musical influences, with an original and quirky twist, that comes from the quality of the song craft and Rudy Lobo's approach to guitar.
"Rudy's not your traditional lead guitarist. I see him more as a multi-instrumentalist on guitar. His parts are often closer to horn, string, choral or keyboard parts, all played by a tasty rocker, Marshall stack and all." ... Dave Toan
“Being asked to describe The Cubes’ sound can be difficult. That’s not because we are so unique that we can’t be classified, but because we have all been around a long time (We were all inspired, to get into music, by the Beatles and the 60s bands). We are sponges that have picked up a bit of this and that along the way. All those influences are filtered through us as individuals. It has been a long road. There’s quite a bit of musical history and experiences in The Cubes. You can hear it all in The Cubes’ music, sometimes all in one tune. The best way I can describe our music is to say it’s a dose of retro and outsider rock, mixed with a touch of Spaghetti Westerns, Power Pop, Classical, and Jazz influences. At the heart of it, though, we are an aggressive, rocking band with intelligent songs, intelligently played by creative people.”…Dave Toan
The Cubes are:
Dave Toan ... Vocals and Guitar
Rudy Lobo ... Guitar and Vocals
Bill Kavanagh ... Bass and Vocals
Kelly Lawson ... Drums