SEEKINGVocalist, Rhythm Guitar, Lead Guitar, Bass Guitar, Keyboard, Background Singer.
School of Rock - Round Rock opened for business early summer of 2018. I am the first adult student at this location. I play drums and I suppose I'm intermediate-level drummer (though probably at the lower end of the intermediate spectrum).
I’ll start with the key benefits for anyone looking to join a band:
1) You spend absolutely zero time organizing rehearsals and gigs; the SoR staff do all that.
2) You never have to even think about who in the band can/can’t make rehearsals. If someone is a no-show, a (VERY capable) instructor is always available to fill in.
3) You don’t have to schlep around any equipment. Nearly all students bring their own guitars, and most bring their pedals, though. But just about every instructor plays on SoR instruments, which are available to all students. SoR also provides the amps, keys, PA system, mics and drums. All of their equipment is 6 months old or newer.
The Round Rock location currently has two adult bands. One meets every Tuesday and the other meets every Thursday. Each rehearsal runs from 8pm to 10pm.
The Round Rock location is a bit different that some other SoR locations. All the students in a band pick the songs they want to learn and play. And because the Round Rock location is so new, we each play on EVERY song (since there are 2 drummers on Tuesday nights, each drummer gets ½ of the songs). Another important difference is that for other SoR locations, you have only one option which is to participate in both the group rehearsal and an individual lesson per week. At Round Rock, you can do this as well, or you can opt for only the group rehearsal.
The best thing about SoR – Round Rock is that all the students and instructors all get along really well. The adult students range in age from early 20s to baby boomers. The franchise owner, Bob (who often joins us during rehearsals and plays a mean bass), has assembled an amazingly talented group of instructors who are incredibly helpful and a lot of fun! At every rehearsal, we rock hard and have a great time! In the last 6 months we have played 3 “mini” gigs (4 songs/gig). Our last gig was on Dec 16 at Hanovers 2.0, which was a “mini” gig. Beginning in 2019, the adult bands will start playing much longer gigs.
The following is a list of songs we have learned for each band. The Tuesday band has been around longer, so the set list is longer. The songs are listed in the order we have learned them. Note that much of the songs at the top of the lists are songs we don’t necessary play very often (if at all). We add new songs all the time.
• Take It Easy – The Eagles
• Just What I Needed – The Cars
• Rockin’ In the Free World – Neil Young
• Fortunate Son – CCR
• Ziggy Stardust – David Bowie
• I Won’t Back Down – Tom Petty
• Even Flow – Pearl Jam
• Tuff Enuff – The Fabulous Thunderbirds
• Revolution – The Beatles
• Interstate Love Song – Stone Temple Pilots
• The Breakup Song – Greg Kihn
• The One I Love – REM
• That Thing You Do – The Wonders
• Rebel Yell - Billy Idol
• Plush – Stone Temple Pilots
• Creep – Stone Temple Pilots
• Magic Man – Heart
• One Way or Another – Blonde
• New Year’s Day – U2
• Gimme Stitches – Foo Fighters
• Livin’ On a Prayer – Bon Jovi
• Going Under – Evanescence
• When You Were Young - The Killers
• Caught Up In You - 38 Special
We really want to get to the point where our adult bands consist of only students. As much as we enjoy the instructors who fill in, it makes for a long day for them because they spend the first part of their days working with the younger student bands. Also, since nearly all instructors belong to bands and play gigs on the weekends, it makes it hard to schedule our student gigs around them. We particularly need bassists and lead guitarists for either the Tuesday or Thursday band. The Tuesday band also needs someone on keys and someone to help with lead and especially backing vox. We currently have drummers, but will need more in the near future as the bands grow.
Call SoR in Round Rock to schedule a free lesson and be sure to ask to sit in on one of the 2 hour rehearsals (also free): 5 1 2 2 4 6 7 6 2 5. Contact me (Paul) if you want to know more from a student’s perspective.
- Screen name:
- Member since:
- Apr 22 2018
- Active within 1 week
- Level of commitment:
- Very Committed
- Years together:
- Gigs played:
- Under 10
- Tend to practice:
- 1 time per week
- 51 years
Pretty much everything that is rock n roll. Some 60's,70's, 80's, 90's, current stuff if it's rock.
Members Of Band
Paul - drums
Amy M. - drums
Steve - guitar
Alex - guitar and vox
* bass, keys, some lead and backing vox and some lead guitar currently provided by instructors.
Paul - drums
Kelly - guitar, lead and backing vox
Amy L. - keys, lead and backing vox
* bass and lead and rhythm guitar currently provided by instructors
Live - Magic Man
Live - Magic Man Year: 2018 Genre: Classic Rock
At 2018 Chalk Walk arts festival
Live - Gimme Stitches
Live - Gimme Stitches Year: 2018 Genre: Rock
Rehearsal - Going Under
Rehearsal - Going Under Year: 2018 Genre: Rock
Rehearsal - Ziggy Stardust
Rehearsal - Ziggy Stardust Year: 2018 Genre: Classic Rock
One of our very talented instructor on lead vocals.
Rehearsal - Even Flow
Rehearsal - Even Flow Year: 2018 Genre: Rock
Instructor on lead vocals
Rehearsal - The One I Love
Rehearsal - The One I Love Year: 2018 Genre: Alternative
Instructors on backing vocals
At Hanovers 2.0 in Round Rock, TX
For more info: